Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Ritual Artist: Guillermo Gomez-Pena.

This is an untitled work by Guillermo Gomez-Pena. (There's a tilde in his last name, but I can't type it.) He is a Mexican-American, who wins a lot of awards and primarily does performance art. And yes, it is a photo of a girl in stockings, a strap-on dildo, and those ridiculous boots that look so cool on girls. And no, the conflation of imagery doesn't make much sense to me either. I know he's trying to expose our dirty little secrets, but I can't specify what secrets these are or how he accomplishes this. Here's my best shot at unraveling the piece: Christianity vs. radical sexuality, violence vs. blinding the eyes, radical sexuality vs. violence. What if there is no monolithic interpretation to his work? What if he's confronting us just to draw a reaction, just so that we expose ourselves? Then that's a pretty cool idea. I don't know if it's true.

No comments:

Post a Comment