Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Alicia Dillard:Elizabeth Murray


I love this piece by Elizabeth Murray. The center of this piece immediately captured my eye because of the bright colors. The part that I love most about this piece is that the colors and the white background seem to bring attention to each other; in this way they are balanced. When I first looked at this work I though the center was depicting a city, but the closer I look the more I discover that I have no idea what the center of this piece is trying to depict. I see a man, some letter, and what looks like a cat, but I cannot distinguish what the other shapes are. The other interesting part of this piece is the title, “The Sun and the Moon.” I think that the title is essential to the piece in this instance; suddenly the whole thing makes sense. The sun is chaotic, which is represented by the overlapping shapes, and the moon is calm, which in represented by the white background.

No comments:

Post a Comment