Tuesday, March 24, 2009

William Pope L.


This is a very striking piece, despite its simplicity. I find that the minimality of this work is appropriate as the artist seems to desire convey his idea in the most direct and frank manner. The statement "Black People Are Beside The Point" is blunt, and the manner in which this piece has been created further emphasizes this stark statement. Such a simple statement, yet it conveys a variety of meaning. When one strips down the frills and the ornament, I find that the art can become more interesting, more flexible, and its conveyed meaning often becomes multi-dimensional. The lack of cleanness in the execution of this piece reminds me of writing on a bathroom stall. Often I've found that bathroom stalls have been an interesting canvas for honest, unabridged, personal expression. I feel that this piece possesses these same attributes.

No comments:

Post a Comment