Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Richard Serra-Tilted Spheres


In this sculpture, Serra creates balance that is very symmetrical. Both sides of the sculpture share an equal weight, and I feel that this balance can evoke feelings of peace and tranquility. What I also find interesting is the consideration of open/negative space in creating such symmetrical balance. I feel that the interplay between open space and the space occupied by the sculpture is very aesthetically attractive. The open space, I feel, evokes a sense of freedom--an unrestricted ability to move through the space. However, there is also an element of imprisonment at the same time. The sculptured pieces are in a tilted position, and this could imply that the walls of the sculpture could fall in to each other, which trap you as you attempted to explore the sculpture. I think Serra achieves an interesting harmony by playing with the ideas of stability and instability.

No comments:

Post a Comment