Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Eva Hesse - untitled, 1960


This work uses organic shape and negative space to create a balanced, light, and quality of line to create a unified and visually stimulating composition. The form reminds me of a drop of ink spreading out into clear water, a type of seaweed, even a series of intertwined veins and capillaries.

When I look at this piece I can choose to either look at it as a whole object, a series of tangled and overlapping lines, or the negative spaces in between the lines. It has a sense of movement and direction, although whether it's travelling towards the top or bottom of the page of if it's being stretched both ways I can't decide. Either way, I like looking at this piece and trying to figure out whether or not it's meant to be representational or abstract.

No comments:

Post a Comment