Monday, February 9, 2009

Louise Bourgeois


This sculpture, by the venerated artist Louise Bourgeois, occupies a prominent position overlooking the Thames, creating a vast contrast to the very angular, conventional architecture that dominates the London skyline. This piece, entitled Maman, was inspired by the artist's mother, who reminded her of the useful and caring nature of spiders. I remember encountering this work when I was younger, outside the Tate and being completely transfixed by this vast, awe inspiring piece of art.  At over nine metres high, it is difficult not to be captivated by this sculpture. However, due to my aversion to spiders, I was not fully appreciative of this sculpture, and now having seen it again I can appreciate it for its verisimilitude, despite the fact that my dislike of spiders has yet to disappear.

No comments:

Post a Comment